Linggo, Hunyo 9, 2019

Movie Review: Our Shining Days

  I am wondering why I have not written any review of this movie. I even checked my personal blog, and I have not posted it there. Anyway, this post is long overdue. I just remembered this movie after digging up my erhu again. What's an erhu? It is a Chinese musical instrument, they also call it in English, two stringed fiddle, or Chinese violin. I studied the basics before on how to play the erhu. Now, I'm planning to do a self-study/practice. I am encouraged to pick-up and play the erhu by a young member of the Chinese orchestra in my country. I was able to borrow an erhu practice book from his which is very rare to find here in the Philippines. I was also told to order an erhu instructional book, which I did. It is a bit expensive, but its worth it. All for the love of Chinese culture.

This movie is about high-school music students, one group is the Chinese music students, and the other group were music students who were into Europeran/Western musical instruments (violin, harp, guitar etc.). I recall a short clip of one of the famous scene in the movie where both groups battled by playing their own musical instruments. For example the Guzheng vs. Harp, and so on. I agree with one of the comments in YouTube, that this movie is not about proving or showing which musical instrument is superior. What the movie is trying to say is never forget the past, it is about treasuring, and never forgetting Chinese classical music instruments. I am not Chinese but I appreciate these things. The Chinese youth especially should not forget this. If you are a music lover, more so a Chinese music lover like me then I suggest you see this movie.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento