Sabado, Marso 8, 2014

From Beginning Until Now

   How did my fascination with Chinese language, culture and tradition started? Well, it's not really a very complicated or a dramatic story. It's simple as this, when we were kids, my older brother and I, used to watch Kung-Fu movies shown in a local channel (IBC-13). I remember the movies were dubbed in a funny way (the characters are always talking in a high-pitched voice). We love watching 'Drunken Master', an old guy with a red nose (due to excessive drinking), this old guy is really good in Kung-Fu and has a young apprentice, or someone who'll be his student. I also remember watching a man who has a strong palm, or iron palm. Those who were hit by him, they suffer greatly and became weak to the point of dying. There were a lot of nice, entertaining Kung-Fu shows back then. That drum sound when a movie was just starting became really familiar with me. You know when its a 'Golden Harvest Presentation' movie, because of the sound at the beginning.

   Then I saw a movie by Jet Li when I was in my teen years. I think it was his 'Once Upon A Time in China' movie. I always see the movie ad on the newspaper before. He's not really very handsome, but I came to like him, coz' he has that great smile, and he can really fight from all 'eight sides' based on the documentary that I have seen before. I even have a vhs documentary of him wayback (Shaolin Temple),  but I left it in the house where I used to stay before. I have seen almost all of Jet Li's movie. The movie that I will never forget is, 'The Bodyguard from Beijing' which was recommended to me by my highschool classmate.

    The first Chinese artist that I came to know was Jimmy Lin. He was introduced to me by my highschool classmate. She let me borrow the cassette tape. I still remember the cover of that cassette tape, Jimmy Lin posing beside a red car. I was really happy even if I didn't understand a single thing I just played the tape at home. My brother and of course the people in our house think I'm weird. Playing a song that I don't understand. I was not aware that Jimmy Lin was really a popular Chinese singer back then. I agree, he's really cute! Other Chinese singers that I have come to like are Lee Hom Wang, JJ Lin, Jolin Tsai, Richie Ren, Michael Wong, F4, and a lot more. Even before the chinovela (Chinese series) hype started, I already like 'anything' Chinese. I also came to like watching Taiwanese series. One of my favorite series is 'Love at the Dolphin Bay.'

    When I was in college, I asked my late aunt to buy me a cassette tape, (any Chinese singer tape in Ongpin). Before, my aunties would usually go to Ongpin before to buy their pearl cream, they use it as a foundation for their face. I will never forget the name of that pearl cream which is from Taiwan, its name is 'Yang Pai Su'. They buy it in packs. That was when I came to know Vivian Chow, my most favorite Chinese singer. Sadly, that tape of mine was lost, I left a few of my things in my previous workplace, in an English Center that cater mostly to Koreans. I remember my late aunt telling me she bought it because, the Chinese seller recommended it to her. I came to know Vivian Chow more through the internet.

     From then on, I started learning Chinese songs. Mostly songs by Vivian Chow. Then I bought original cassette tapes (which was really expensive) from a Chinese store in SM Manila named, "Horizon", sadly the shop was closed already. I bought mostly albums by Coco Lee, Leon Lai and William So. Maybe, the owner of the store finds it strange that I was buying their Chinese records. I can sing a few Cantonese and Mandarin song mostly by Vivian Chow, I have uploaded some of my cover versions in YouTube. Then I met forumers from a Filipino-Chinese website, tsinoy.com (brainchild of Mr. Dux Raymond Sy) which I became very active and my screen name was Bluelei. I became a featured forumer in that website and have contributed various articles, with the following titles, Hunan Stuffed Cucumbers which was featured in their cuisine section, The Giant Panda (everyone likes pandas and I find them very cute, 可愛 ), Origin of Filipino-Chinese surname, the one who helped me in this article was a very nice 70+ yr. old Filipino-Chinese man, who goes by the nickname Uncle Dick., etc. I also volunteered to be a writer at slrfccc website (Filipino-Catholic website), when I was still not yet a Christian. Another sad thing, that website also vanished.

    When I was in junior college, (I believe there's no such thing as a coincidence) Our foreign language was Mandarin. I was really so happy because finally! I would be able to study the Chinese language! But before I took our foreign language, I told my family that I wanted to study Mandarin, and enroll in a language school. At that time I was vacationing at my aunt's place in Quezon City, where I am staying now. At first, they were reluctant to let me study, they said that I would just waste the money. So I was really heartbroken and I locked myself inside the bathroom for a few minutes, while crying at the same time. Well, after my 'dramatic' moment, my aunt who is also my 'godmother', allowed me and even paid for my tuition. I enrolled at Languages Internationale in Katipunan. I believe that their existing branch now is only found in Makati City. That was the first summer course that I've finished, and the only one that I've got a diploma. (I've studied organ, voice and guitar during summer wayback, but never finished them). 

     Instead of celebrating my 18th birthday. I chose to travel to Hong Kong with my aunts during my summer vacation. That was really one of the unforgettable moments in my life. It felt like I was dreaming. We got to see JC Jewelry shop, according to our tour guide, it was co-owned by Jackie Chan. Our hotel was near Kowloon park, and I can still remember the name B.P. International. That was the first time I came to know Watson store. I still remember the restaurant in front of our hotel, Fat Nam. My late aunt bought me a nice heart shaped turquoise pendant. I admit I'm a bit careless for I've lost that pendant. Anyway, I enjoyed our Hong-Kong tour even if there was a typhoon after the day that we arrived there. We also passed by Happy Valley which according to our tour guide the Beverly Hills of Hong Kong.

   I think I was among the few who really enjoyed our Mandarin class wayback in college. I remember my classmates were complaining why do they need to study that language. I still remember my professors back then, Ma'm Erlinda G. Ong (now a doctorate degree holder), a Filipina-Chinese who is part Kapampanagan. I remember vividly after her class I would talk to her in our native dialect (my mom's side is pure Kampampangan, native of Pampanga). I got 1.75 in her class, and she was the one who helped me and made a recommendation letter for me for my Master's degree. My other professor was Christopher Ong, I find him strict, and my grade is not that high 2.75 compared to my Basic Mandarin I. I still keep my college mandarin workbook, they're still with me up to now. 

    I have met a lot of Filipino-Chinese acquiantances, and some have become my friends along the way. I'll never forget Ms. Elaine Mae Yu, for giving me Vivian Chow's original vcd when she went to Hong Kong. Ms. Bridget Co, for not being afraid of me when I approached her while I was still doing my OJT at Sterling Paper Products in Makati.  Mr. Benny Yeung for giving me an LP of Vivian Chow and a vcd karaoke of Richie Ren, and an autograph photo book of Vivian. Also, from tsinoy.com peeps, Ms. Rochelle Sy (Hearty), Mr. Ulysees Liao for giving me Chinese vcd's. My former classmate in college, Ms. April Gaie Chua, for being so nice to me and helping me out in my Math subject and for giving me a Chinese trinket, and mooncake. Mr. Gerald Uy for the Elmo pillow, for our Christmas exchange gift in college, for the KAISA museum trip, Chinese cat figurine (which I left in my former house) and for the mall time before. To my former language professors, Dr. Erlinda Ong, who made a recommendation letter for me for my graduate school, and to Mr. He Zhuo (a.k.a George Ho), who've always encouraged me to pursue my interest. To Zaldy Co, for letting me know about Emperor Mandarin Toastmaster's Speech Club. To the late Dr. Kasian Lim, for bearing with me as I tell a bit of my 'Chinese language' experience during clinic hours with my aunt.To Mr. Edison Ong, for being so patient with me when I always tell all my rants online, especially for listening to all my Chinese 'things', and for the 'Stikfas' figure. To Ms. Maria Joanna Tecson, for patiently teaching us Basic Mandarin 2. To Mr. Joaquin Sy, for being ever so accommodating and for giving me a Chinese phrasebook, and for sharing with me a soft-copy of 'Manila Doctors Hospital' newsletter.  And to those whom I've unintentionally forgotten to thank in this post of mine, I want to take this opportunity to say  非常感谢! Feichang Ganxie. Many, many thanks! 

    So that's it! That's how it all started. Thank you for being a part of my journey to silk road, for being a part of my 'Chinese' adventure! 

*this blog post of mine was featured in Nin Hao (Manila Doctors Hospital magazine) May-June 2014 issue.

(music video below is the instrumental version of, 'A Love Before Time' OST of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).  



Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento