Huwebes, Marso 20, 2014

One Step Closer to my Dream

          Yesterday morning, I had a nice surprise of my life when I got an email from Mr. Joaquin Sy. I met Mr. Joaquin Sy, wayback at Bahay Tsinoy (Filipino-Chinese museum) Kaisa Heritage Center in Intramuros, Manila. Such fond memories back then. KAISA is one of my favorite places to visit in Manila. During my college days we had a tour there as a part of our activity in our Foreign Language class, Basic Mandarin. Sometimes I also visit the place to buy Chinese language cd's, books published by their office, also to get free back issues of Tulay, and just to check out anything in their gift shop.

I applied before for the position of a museum guide in KAISA. I remember, sending an email to Mrs. Teresita Ang-See (husband of the late Prof. Chinben See, (a library was named in honor of him), Mrs. See was really kind enough to forward my email to a KAISA staff even if she doesn't know me personally, (I would like to take this opportunity and thank her), and then I was introduced by the staff to the President of KAISA at that time, which was Mr. Joaquin Sy. Well, to cut the story short I 'chickened' out and I didn't push through with it.

               In 2007, I had another chance to visit Mr. Joaquin Sy when I tried applying as a part-time writer in a Filipino-Chinese newspaper which is the Philippine Chinese Daily. Mr. Sy was the manager and director of the said newspaper. Since I have contributed various articles online (tsinoy.com and slrfccc Filipino-Chinese Catholic website, sadly both websites are non-existent now) with regards to Chinese topics (cuisine, origin of Filipino-Chinese surnames, etc.). I gave him a Korean gold plated bookmark, and he gave me a Chinese phrasebook, entitled '300', and was kind enough to sign his books for me. Up to now, I also keep the business card that he gave me. I'm really such a pack-rat!

I'm really glad that I have met Mr. Sy. I know him as a writer and a former president of KAISA. According to my research he has authored a lot of books, a scholar and an expert in translating Filipino(Tagalog) to Chinese, vice-versa, a notable speaker and was invited to speak in various schools like in Ateneo de Manila University and various organizations. At present he holds positions in PSB and Manila Doctors Hospital
             I came to know the Manila Doctors Hospital newsletter because of Mr. Sy. I was really happy seeing my comment printed on a newsletter. I'm thankful to Mr. Sy for sharing with me the newsletter of Manila Doctor's Hospital. Everyday, I believe that I'm one step closer to my dreams with the help of the people around me, and of course with GOD's guidance.


             I can say that yesterday was truly Nin Hao! (good day) 您好! 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento