Sabado, Marso 8, 2014

My Chinese Books Collection

   Most of those who knew me and also those who are connected to me 'socially' online will know that I really like Chinese language, culture, arts, almost anything that is related to it. Anyway, this afternoon I collected all my Chinese books, (I put them somewhere around the house). I wanted to keep them all together, for safekeeping just like my Christian books, which are neatly arranged and safely tucked inside a small cabinet. Before, I said that this hobby of mine was my first love but I corrected it and said it is just my second love, because GOD should always be the first. :)

  Anyway, I took a shot of these books, which I've been collecting since I was a teenager (highschool days) and a few given to me by my friend and Filipino-Chinese friends/acquaintance. My collection ranges from history, novels, philosophy to language books. Also, included in my collection is the mainstream history and culture of the Filipino-Chinese, which is also a part of the Filipino culture.
 
  I remember my former 老師 laoshi (teacher), in mandarin language. He told me that it's a rarity to find someone like me who has a passion like this. He's also the one who encouraged me to continue doing what I love, and that someday I'll able to contribute something to the society. 

  Here's a peek into one of my passion and interest. I listed the titles below. I categorized them.

History/Culture/Travel:

1. China Lonely Planet Guidebook
2. The Chinese Mestizo in Philippine History - author: Edgar Wickberg
3. The Chinese in Philippine Life (1850-1898) - author: Edgar Wickberg
4. The Ethnic-Chinese as Filipinos (part II) - edited by Teresita Ang See
5. Chinese and Chinese-Mestizos of Manila (Family, Identity and Culture 1860s - 1930s) -
author: Richard T. Chu
6. China  author: Zheng Shifeng, et al.
7. A Short History of China author: Gordon Kerr 
8. Tsinoy (The Story of the Chinese in the Philippine Life) edited by: Teresita Ang-See
9. Living Abroad in China Including Hong Kong and Macau authors: Barbara and Stuart Strother
10. The China Business Handbook 2008 
11. China A to Z (2015 edition) authors: May-Lee Chai and Winberg Chai
12. A Geek in China (Discovering the Land of Bullet Trains, Alibaba, and Dim Sum) author: Matthew Christensen

Novels/Fiction

1. The Good Earth - author: Pearl Buck
2. Falling Leaves - author: Adeline Yen Mah
3. The Joy Luck Club - author: Amy Tan
4. The Hundred Secret Senses - author: Amy Tan
5. The Kitchen God's Wife - author: Amy Tan
6. The Story of the Stone (a.k.a. Dream of the Red Chamber vol.III) - Cao Xueqin
7. The Three Kingdoms (retold by: Christine Sun) - author: Luo Guanzhong
8. The Water Margin (retold by: Christine Sun) - author: Naian
9. Dream of the Red Chamber (retold by: Christine Sun) - author: Cao Xueqin
10. Journey to the West (retold by: Christine Sun) - author: Wu Cheng'En
11. To The Sky Kingdom - author: Tang Qi
12. Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies - edited and translates by Moss Roberts

Biography and Non-Fiction

1.Xi JinPing - The Governance of China
2.Wild Swans (Three Daughters of China) - Jung Chang
3. Bai Ren - Lagaglag Sa Nanyang (Adrift in the Southern Seas) translated by: Joaquin Sy

Language/Chinese Writing:

1. Say It in Chinese - Foreign Language Press Beijing
2. Learn Chinese Efficiently with Super Pinyin (phonetic) vol.I - edited by Jose Averia, English Translated by: Tinna K. Wu; Pilipino Translated by: Francisco G. Co
3. Easy Chinese Phrasebook and Dictionary - by: Wendy Tung
4. Speak Fujianwa (Fookien/Hokkien) Easy - by: Betty Lee
5. 300 by: Joaquin Sy
6. Niubi The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School - by: Eveline Chao; Illustrated by Chris Murphy
7. Teach Yourself Cantonese - by: Hugh Baker and Ho Pui-Kei
8. Chinese Flashcards (vol.I) - Tuttle Publishing
9. The Chinese Language: Its History and Current Usage author: Daniel Kane
10. Simple Strokes (Everyday Essentials) - by: Song Liwen
     Simple Strokes (Architecture and Culture) - by: Song  Liwen
11. Chinese for Dummies (with cd) - by: Wendy Abraham

Local Literature:

1. Tsapsuy: Mga Sanaysay, Tula, Salin atbp. - by: Joaquin Sy
2. The Best of Tulay (Voices: Mga Tinig) - edited by: Teresita Ang See, Caroline Hau and Joaquin Sy
3. Weaving A Dream (Reflections for Chinese-Filipino Catholics Today) - author Ari Dy, S.J
4. Beyond the Great Wall (A Family Journal) - author: Mario Miclat
5. Broken Mirror: Inside a Chinese Marriage - Aurora Teo Mei Ling
6. The Ties That Bind: The Saga of the Sultan of Sulu in China - Teresita Ang See
7. Ang Piping Balalaika - Ba Jin (salin ni Joaquin Sy)

Comic Books:

 1. Stories of Love - Illustrated by: Huang Qingrong; Translated by: Shen Siqin

Other books:

1. Chinese Zen - prepared, compiled and translated by Thomas Sy 
2. Love Poems from Ancient China and India - notes by Prem Jesus Jesswani, Ma.Carolina Chua and Ajit Mansukhani
3. Chinese Philosophy author: Peter H. Nancarrow
4. The Chinese Medicine Bible author: Penelope Ody
5. Women and the Art of War: Sun Tzu's Strategies for Winning Without Confrontation author: Catherine Huang and A.D. Rosenberg
6. The Art of War - Sun Tzu and The Book of Lord Shang 'Shang Yang'
7. Tao Te Ching (The Classic Translation by R.B. Blakney)  - author: Lao Tzu

(repost from my personal blog dated: January 23, 2014. Updated 07/28/19)

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento