Linggo, Hulyo 20, 2014

Movie and Book Review:The JoyLuck Club by Amy Tan

'There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it.' ~ Chinese Proverb

  I'm not sure if I will do a movie review or a book review on this one. But I guess I'll just write a review about the novel and the film, 'The JoyLuck Club'. I am a fan of the works of Amy Tan. I have enjoyed novels that she wrote. Another novel of hers that I like is entitled, 'The Kitchen God's Wife'. I have collected some of her books. Her novels mostly depicts the life of American Born Chinese (ABC) or people who are of Chinese descent who migrated to America.

 I first saw this movie when it was shown on tv in a local channel. I was immediately drawn to it because the opening has that 'oriental or Asian' feel to it. The scene that I remember the most was a group of elders and a young woman playing the famous Chinese game called 'mah-jong'. 

 The JoyLuck Club is about the life  story of four mothers and their daughters. The movie scenes alternates between the past and the present. With regards to the movie, I think it is faithful to the novel. Also, like in many novels that's adapted into a movie, due to time constraints it's only usual that not everything that's written in the book is included in the movie.

  I am not actually familiar with the actors and actresses who played the role of the mothers and the daughters, as well as the other characters in the movie. But they all did well in playing their role. This movie shows what a mother would do for her child. I was reminded of this movie/novel when I read the tribute of a famous journalist to her late mother.

The movie is very realistic. I really learned a lot from this novel. It has clearly shown the truths with regards to marital problems that some people rarely talk about, thus it resulted to an even bigger emotional abuse. It also shows the role of Chinese women in a male dominant, power-driven culture. I also have learned about filial piety, matchmaking, and other Chinese traditions. If you are a voracious book reader, or a movie fan. Either way you will enjoy watching and reading, the work of Amy Tan.

  I recommend this movie to all the mother and daughter's out there. Truly a mother's love is truly admirable. A mother, and being a woman is worth more than a priceless gem out there.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento