Linggo, Hulyo 13, 2014

Book Review: The Chinese Medicine Bible (Penelope Ody)

Chinese medicine began with myth, its practice has been recorded for centuries. 

   I recently bought a book entitled,"The Chinese Medicine Bible" written by Penelope Ody. When I saw it on the shelf of a popular local bookstore I knew in an instant that I got to have it. As a book lover and a Chinese studies enthusiast, I consider this book indispensable. Nowadays, most people are into naturopathy or alternative medicine, one that relies in the natural healing power of nature. More and more people are becoming health conscious. We can see that through the increasing demand of organic fruits and vegetables. 

 This book is a mini-book. It can be carried easily and you can carry it along inside your bag. It also has a lot of pictures that makes it even more so interesting to read. The classification of food is also included in the book. It says in the book that there are five energies from food. That is the cold and cool foods, neutral, warm and hot food and the balancing food. 

   When I had tonsilitis before (swelling and infection of the tonsils) I went to a doctor who is into the natural and scientific methods in curing an ailment. After checking my throat, he prescribed an over-the counter medicine and food that I should not eat until my tonsils is back in its normal state. He further explained the reason why I should not eat certain food. For example, if I have oral-thrush or mouth sores, what we call 'singaw' in our native language, I should avoid eating 'hot' food. It's not really about the temperature of the food, what he meant by 'hot' is the effects that this particular food have on our body. Pizza is categorized in the 'hot' food. I told him that I frequently eat pizza, and he said, "So you see the effect it has on your body!" Some doctors would dismiss this theory saying that mouth sores are caused by a fungal infection. 

    Here in the Philippines, in Chinatown you can find Chinese traditional drugstores. For throat ailments, I've heard from a friend about this sweet sticky syrup that goes by the name 'Pei Pa Koa' (枇杷膏 pi pa gao). It is a famous Chinese cough syrup. Today, they came out with 'Pei Pa Koa' candies. I have not tried this but I'm using a herbal spray whenever I have sore throat, and it works well for me.

     The book has six chapters. It talks about the theory of Chinese medicine, causes of disease and diagnostics, acupuncture and acupressure, types of Chinese herbal medicines, understanding Chinese food cures and body works. 

     I see nothing wrong in trying alternative medicine and going organic. After all, in the bible it says there that Adam and Eve were to eat only vegetables and fruits (Genesis 1:29). Natural is always the best. Have you noticed that our grandparents have longer life span compared to the generation of today. As they say, everything is instant now, and that's also the same with life. In closing let me quote a famous line, "What you eat today is what you will look and feel tomorrow!" So I say always stay happy and eat healthy!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento