Miyerkules, Disyembre 21, 2016

Chinese Herbal Medicine Seminar

 
Last month I signed up for a seminar in Ateneo's Chinese Studies Program entitled, 'Understanding Chinese Herbal Medicine'. The guest speaker was a medical doctor from St. Luke's Medical Center, Dr. Francisco V. Navarro, M.D. He also studied, and trained in medical acupuncture from various schools, and universities abroad including Xiamen University Hospital in Fujian ,China. This course was a 2 part. The first course is about acupuncture. I chose the latter because I'm more interested in plants. Chinese traditional medicine is an ancient practice. I remember watching a good Chinese drama starring Cecilia Liu Shi Shi, 'The Imperial Doctress', it is based from a true historical figure Tan Yun Xian, a woman who is adept in the medical field during the Ming dynasty. If you have not seen the drama I suggest you try watching it. You will be able to understand a thing or two about Chinese traditional medicine.

   Sadly, I was unable to attend because the schedule of the seminar was in conflict with my work schedule. I asked my former classmate and college and friend to attend for me. I did not get any certificate even if I'm the one who paid and registered for the course because the participant, or the one who will attend (proxy) will be the one who will be awarded with a certificate. Anyway, I was able to get the handouts from my friend. Included in the handouts are some important notes, for example, the Principle of Chinese Herbs, the 5 flavors in Chinese, etc. In the handouts, vocabulary words connected with Chinese traditional medicine were written in Chinese characters, together with the English meaning. I have already read something about Chinese traditional medicine since I own a book about it.Thinking about this seminar, this evokes memories wayback when we went to a Chinese drugstore, wherein you can see growth balls, dried animals like seahorse, etc. I hope next year I'll be able to attend another Chinese related event, one that is not in conflict with my work schedule. I'll continue updating this blog from time to time. Thanks for visiting!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento